Monday, February 9, 2015

Market Research the Library Way

Buying magazines to analyse can get a little pricey at times (although it is a tax deductible expense), and I’ve commented on this blog about the different ways you can cut your costs. Another way is to use your library - or rather - to use your library’s online digital magazine service (if it has one).

My library website has an e-Lending service where it hopes to offer eBooks for lending soon. However, one service it now offers is the ability to view the latest full digital issue of 25 popular magazines. This makes use of the Zinio digital magazine facility, but you have to access it through your library’s website. For me, this was quite straight forward. I simply clicked on the link from my library’s website and then had to register to create an account. This involved quoting my library card number and then setting up a password. Simples!

And now, I have full access to the latest issues of the following magazines:

  • 25 Beautiful Homes,
  • Amateur Photographer,
  • Artists & Illustrators,
  • Auto Express,
  • Computer Shopper,
  • Cosmopolitan,
  • Country Homes & Interiors,
  • Cycling Plus,
  • Digital Camera,
  • Digital SLR Photography,
  • The Economist,
  • GoodtoKnow Recipes,
  • Health & Fitness,
  • Hello!
  • Homes & Gardens,
  • Ideal Home,
  • Kitchen Gardener,
  • MacUser,
  • marie claire,
  • Men’s Fitness,
  • National Geographic,
  • National Geographic Traveller,
  • net,
  • NewScientist,
  • Newsweek,
  • Rolling Stone,
  • WebUser,
  • woman & home,
  • Woman’s Own,
  • Your Family Tree.

You can even set it up to notify you by email when a new issue is available.

As well as magazines, my library also offers access to the PressDisplay service - this gives access to over 3,000 newspapers and magazines from over 100 different countries. All I have to do it enter my library card number and I’m away.

So next time you want to moan about market research costing an arm and a leg, check out your local library service to see if they can help you out.


Good luck!

Followers