Monday, June 7, 2010

The Subjective Art

Creativity is subjective. What works for one person, may not work for someone else. You may recall back in March I wrote a post about agreeing to rewrite a piece of text when an editor asks. (http://simonwhaleytutor.blogspot.com/2010/03/and-repeat-after-me-of-course-i-can.html) In this post, I mentioned how I'd sold a short story to Australia, and now I was trying to sell it here in the UK. The UK editor had liked the story, but there were aspects he didn't feel were quite right and wanted the text rewritten.

Now, the short story had already been published in Australia, so the Australian editor didn't have a problem with it. But the UK editor did, so I rewrote the story, trying to clarify the points he found confusing. Sadly, upon taking a second look, that editor decided that the story still didn't work for him.

A few weeks later though, I heard that the editor at this publication had changed, so I submitted the same story to the new editor ... who bought it, and I've just banked the money today.

So, two different editors at the same publications made different decisions. What worked for one editor didn't work for another. We all have our personal likes and dislikes and editors are no different. In the past, I've successfully sold an article to the third editor at the same publication where the previous two editors had rejected it.

Next time you hear about a change of editor, consider resubmitting some of your previously rejected work. You never know - the new editor may like it.

Good luck.

Followers