Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Persistence in this Writing Game? You can bank on it!

You may recall from my earlier blogs that tenacity and persistance are important in this freelance writing game. Well today I thought I would tell you of another such example.

I'm on a high at the moment. I've just received an email from an editor accepting an article I submitted on spec to him. Now I still get that adrenalin rush every time I have a piece accepted like this, but this one is special. Why? Because I originally had the idea back in 1997. Yes, it's taken me 11 years to sell this one.

Looking back over my records, (you do keep records of where you send everything don't you?) I can see that I've rewritten this article over 15 times. Everytime it has been rejected, I've looked for a new market, and rewritten it to fit that new market before sending it off.

And today, my persistance has paid off. I have the acceptance.

So next time you get rejected, don't despair. Determination will win through in the end. That's what makes writers successful. Those who give up don't know how close they were to actually succeeding.

Incidentally, one of my students, John Rooney maintains an interesting blog, and the other day he posted a piece about rejection. It's well worth a read, so visit http://jon1words.blogspot.com/2008/04/sunday-scribblings-fearless.html and take his comments on board too. It's worked for him.

Rejection is not the end of the story, it's often the start of the next.

Good luck.

Followers